The OnTheRoad 4.0 is equipped with the Gates CDX beltdrive system.
The Gates CDX beltdrive system is :
- clean, no oiling.
It provides :
- easy, quick and clean (!) rearwheel removal and reinstalling,
- a very simple and lean and clean rearwheel area without any small parts and bolts,
- front and rear sprockets both sized with an equal amount of teeth (if choosen for) which causes the least wear,
- because it is always the smallest sprocket that causes the highest load, the biggest bending and the highest local forces and so the most wear,
- no need for belt protection since the belt stays clean and does not (almost never 😁) grip your pants.
The once in a livetime (!) cost of a set is about € 350,-. Not any chaindrive system will bring you this low cost per kilometer. And no other gears-drivesystem will bring you this low cost per kilometer. That is, if you 👍 keep on cycling .
And in combination with this frame it provides belt tensioning via sliding the rearwheel, so no extra belt tensioner is needed.
The system can be used with any regular cassette-rearwheel worldwide.
In the beginning I was checking the belt quite often since I had no real idea about what to expect. But the beltdrive just runs, runs and keeps on running. I do not notice any change in it at all, except for some colorchange of the belt. There is just zero maintenance and no wear at all to be seen. It does not make any noise and it does not need cleaning (since mud will simply fall off when dried up).
Great stuff and very highly recommended 🏆 !